Tuesday 10 April 2018

April 10

So....I’m going back to Scotland. But there is an entirely new chapter to this story but first I must preface it with a quick history.

My family moved to Scotland when I was in Grade 5. Dad was working in the North Sea on the Piper Alpha and we lived in Portlethen - south of Aberdeen 12 miles (ish). We met the most wonderful, life long friends (Roy and Sher and family and Pam and Mike and family). Fast forward 30 years and I have the honour and privilege of taking my family back home with me to visit and meet everyone. ❤️

Dekker is on his quest to circle the world (a.k.a. Hide from his mother!) and Ryan and I thought it was an incredible opportunity for us for visit him with Michael and Darian (for those of you who do not know Mike he is the child I wish I had born and raised. Such a wonderful human being - to know him is to love him). So for Christmas Darian and Mike got plane tickets to Scotland and Dekker got a Go Pro (to chronicle his escape from his maternal duties). 

I have to quickly recap. We lived in Scotland from 1982 - 1986 and then mom and dad moved back in1989. I would later laugh - when I graduated high school in 1989 my mom and dad left the country to ensure I would vacate the nest and then they moved to Mexico when Scott turned 18 to ensure he too left. 

Anyway, we are off this week and I can honestly say I’m not sure what I’m more excited to see - Scotland, our friends or Dekker. 



I had to include a photo of Grandma Jean. I’m going to dedicate an entire blog to this woman, who probably loved me more than any human being ever has or ever will, and I her. After mom and dad moved back to Scotland and I was slightly adrift, she bought me a ticket to Scotland to see mom and dad. I, literally, showed up on their doorstep - unannounced. It was glorious. 

It will also be bittersweet seeing Scotland after dad is gone. I think even Scotland will lose some of its luster without dad to share my stories with. 

I promise to share this chapter with far more laughter than this blog. I’m not sure if it is the Humboldt loss or the memory of Grandma and Dad that is making me heart sore. I think I am taking a moment to reflect on all I have had and all I have and my heart swells with love and gratitude. 

No comments:

Post a Comment