Wednesday 27 September 2017

September 25

Woke up early and enjoyed a cup of coffee in front of the tents with everyone (except Kim, who tried (unsuccessfully) to sleep in) before we got ready for our airplane tour over The Needles, Confluence of the Colorado and Green Rivers and many very cool formations. Completely different perspective seeing it from the air. Intimidating to realize how easy you could get lost in the hundreds of valleys. Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid hid out here after they would rob a bank or train. There was one area that was named after a hermit who lived back there for 30 years.  Brian  said he wasn't a hermit, he was lost out there for 30 years. Very beautiful. I take it back Utah - you are the second last kid to get picked for dodgeball.

Then went into Moab for lunch and some shopping. We had the best appetizer ever. French fries with crumbled blue cheese, melted cheddar cheese and buffalo sauce with sour cream to dip them in. Why in the name of God have I never made this before? All of my favourite foods together. Maybe with crumbled bacon on top. Oh my God, I would sell my soul to the devil for a large plate right now. 

Us girls donated some money to the Moab retail economy and then caught up with the boys....Brian and Fuzz were sleeping with the homeless people while Ryan sat on a bench and watched over them. It was very romantic. 

Then we drove through Arches National Park and it was amazing.....for the first mile....then I felt a little like Clark Grizwold at the Grand Canyon....done. First, I hate tourists (we consider ourselves travellers not tourists- there is a huge difference) and secondly I hate tourists in vehicles. The only way I'll go back to Yellowstone is if there is absolutely no one else there - like post apocalypse. And ditto for the Arches. 

Another trip to the liquor store, picked up pizzas and then back to the tents. There is a group fire and in true Rocky Shit Show style (the title of our travelling band) we arrive and take over the show. Greet everyone like we own the place and start telling the our life story, laugh at their accents, try not to say "shit" or "fuck" in front of the kids, mention that we BBQ crying babies and it usually clears out pretty fast. Anyway Fuzz was loading the fire up with wood when one of the attendants came up and asked if he kicked the wood pile before he grabbed wood? Why? TO SCARE THE BLACK WIDOWS, BROWN RECLUSES, SCORPIONS AND SNAKES! Please remind me when it's forty below at home and I've plowed snow three times that week and I'm bringing in firewood that I don't need to worry about losing my fucking life to some god awful creature! ( on a side note - why does my iPad still not recognize the word "fuck"? I thought it would know me by now). 

The fire also had complimentary s'more making ingredients (by the way - we also criticize others s'more making techniques - we're making friends everywhere....) so we made s'mores (and had to stop Walisser from stealing all chocolate bars) and this same attendant that warned us about our impending doom (he was a Mexican that had summer teeth - some are here, some are there - who looked homeless) was also lecturing us on other stuff (I stopped listening) when Fuzz leaned over and whispered, "He's just here to steal the s'more stuff, he doesn't work here, I recognize him from my nap this afternoon." 

We all laughed.....and the Mexican left....with the s'more stuff.....and Fuzz's phone number......









No comments:

Post a Comment