Friday 22 September 2017

September 19, 20 AND 21

It's hard to have a full time job on holidays. I'd even have to give myself a talking to but please understand we're all suffering with a terrible condition - altitude sickness (I thought it was a hangover because it's the same symptoms). I thought I would be immune to altitude sickness, similar to my belief that I would not suffer from sea sickness. 8 minutes on the ocean and I am throwing up violently. Anyway, back to altitude sickness - we are at 9,500 feet and I'm pretty sure only astronauts and mountain goats live at this height. So this is the tips that they gave us:
  • Stay hydrated - drink twice as much as you normally consume. I'm pretty sure that doesn't include the amount of alcohol we have been consuming.
  • Limit your intake of alcohol. Not sure what this means.
  • First sign of a headache take ibuprofen. This lead to my confusion- hangover? Altitude?
  • Avoid overexerting yourself. Okay! 
  • Symptoms include headaches, nausea, trouble sleeping and dizziness. This lead to my confusion- hangover? Altitude?
  • Seek treatment if symptoms continue. WE NEVER USE THE "T" WORD!!
September 19 - toured Cripple Creek. You cannot say Cripple Creek without singing "Up On Cripple Creek 🎶" We took a train ride and got a little history of the gold rush. Pretty cool stories. Their red light district was interesting- you needed a copy of your bank statement and 2 letters of reference before you could be "entertained". Those girls had a plan! Jen, Kim and I had a party that night. My wine glass was always filled to the rim and it was me filling it. I lost brain/hand communication for the night. Anyway, we shut 'era down at 2:00. 

September 20 - 🤒. Little slow in the morning. Headed to Cave of the Winds and then took the tram to Pike's Peak. Why wouldn't we?! Let's go to 14,115 feet because 9,500 feet is for pussies! It was cold and windy. They have the race on the Pike's Peak highway every year and there is literally a hair pin turn that a French race car driver took at 80 miles an hour - I think Ryan took it as a challenge. He (the French man, not Ryan) made it up the hill in 8 minutes- 150 hairpin turns in 8 minutes. Fucking Frenchmen! Anyway - on the tram trip down everyone passed out except Ryan (he has photos). We went down to Manitou for a beer and wings and we sat beside these people who asked if we were from Canada....we were impressed and said "YES! How did you know that?!" He said because we look different! Different? Then the guy wash bitten by a squirrel- twice (I seriously cannot make this shit up!) so we were fairly comfortable with looking different. 

September 21 - up and out of the house. Headed to Durango. What a great drive. Honestly, probably our prettiest drive from all drives. The Cascades in Washington are a pretty close second. Looked for a car wash in every little town we drove through. Thought we found one in Center but it was a dud. It was last used in 1982. Ryan went into the gas station and asked if there was another car wash in town (this town was comparable to Leslieville) and the gas station attendant said, "I don't know" - a high IQ is not a prerequisite for the job.... Also, we had a pee in the bathroom that had a sign that said - Stop Human Trafficking. Okay. If you are in a questionable little town where they are warnings about human trafficking then you get the fuck out of town. Quickly. Got to the house and WOW! Best house we've ever stayed at. 

Just a side note- we're all sitting having coffee trying to remember the last three days and this is Jen's response- Tuesday we had sausages with white gravy, Wednesday we had meatloaf and Thursday we had pizza. Why is this girl not 200 pounds! 

Jen and I have also discovered that we like dark beer. We are adding to our repertoire of drinks.....



                                         


                        

No comments:

Post a Comment