Saturday 22 September 2018

September 21

Okay so we have to get a couple things out of the way:

1. We finally stumbled over human poop. Yep, we were walking down to the Pier and there it was.....💩. This is a real thing. There is 70,000 homeless people ( I usually throw out random statistics but this is a real number 70,000 homeless) But on a lighter note (better note? More positive note?) it was the only poop we saw.... so I guess that is something. 

2. Homeless people. I don’t want to be an asshole but holy shit. Just holy shit. I’m not sure what the answer is but it is hard for me to understand this. More on this later.....

3. Uber drivers know where you live. This is becoming an issue. We have had some not-so-great drivers but I need to make sure that they like us because those scary fuckers know where we live! This is an Uber fail! 

We had a great morning. We walked down for breakfast (let’s be honest - late lunch). There was a road crew there doing shots. Now, I’m only assuming that they were off shift but if they weren’t then Mr. Dennis Grandy and I need a serious discussion about my working environment. 

So we head down and have a meal while we are waiting for the boat to Alcatraz. Off we head to The Rock. Hmmmm.....this right away makes me recognize the difference between Alcatraz and Orange is The New Black. Alcatraz is WAY worse. It was a pretty scary, depressing place. It makes me pretty sure I don’t want to break any laws, well, not any serious ones anyway. 

Back to the main land then, we take a bus tour around the city. It was cold. Like REALLY cold. So cold we could no longer feel any extremities. We sat up top on the Big Red Bus completely exposed to the sun until there was no more sun.....only wind.....and ice cold weather....and fog. It was so fucking cold when I got up to walk after an hour and a half of body numbing cold I could hardly move my body. Jen and I had to buy ponchos when we got back because we needed layers!) We drove around San Francisco and saw the Tenderloin area, the Tenderloin area is where the homeless people stay. It was scary and sad and depressing and frustrating and disgusting all at once. Now I know I have no context to make any type of comment but I cannot understand this, I really can’t. But I am the first to admit I lack empathy, and sympathy and compassion, and patience - defining characteristics of my personality. 

But the rest of the city is really pretty. Jen made us buy touques before our trip and we all laughed (but bought the touques) and it is the best $7 I have spent this entire trip. Between that and my wool purse from Scotland - they are the only hints that kept me alive. 

We got off the bus (all of us moving extremely slow - not as slow as a Brian who remains our handicapped friend)  and went for a terrific seafood supper. But the restaurant was crazy. So fast! It made us all a little anxious because they were moving so fast. But fresh seafood and so good. 

Back home in our Uber (not the best driver but again I tipped because I want to be his friend! Not exchange Christmas card kind of friend but Not-stab-me-in-the-night kind of friend....














No comments:

Post a Comment