Thursday 29 November 2018

November 29

I attended the Bighorn County Proposal meeting on Wednesday night. Below are the notes I made as well as any comments I made. I tried to include as many direct quotes as possible.
 

Introduction:

·         North Saskatchewan Regional Plan is the basis of this new plan. This has been given priority ahead of regional plan (I did sense desperation in this statement).

·         This will allow increased protection of the area.

·         They are not taking away recreational use – they are “enhancing” it.

·         This plan addresses “increasing industrial pressure”

·         There is “untapped potential for tourism”

·         My comments and questions to the introduction were:

1.       What necessitated legislated protect? Answer: Protecting the headwaters and the land use. This is a direct result from the Saskatchewan Regional Plan suggested.

2.       You talk about meetings with stakeholders yet there is no public consultations with Clearwater residents and they are your largest stakeholders. Why no public meetings? Answer: We are sharing with the residents via the feedback from the website and the telephone town hall. I responded with – Many people are not comfortable with online feedback or do not access to the internet and I have participated in telephone town hall meetings and they are terrible at best. I finally had to hang up because the quality was so terrible. I suggest you have town hall meetings open to the public. If this is a plan that everyone supports and encourages and you yourselves stand behind then you should get incredible buy in and if not then I think you are obligated to do further work.

3.       What determines the “Development Plan” after Jan 2019? No clear answer on this.

 

Provincial Parks:

·         3 parks planned:

o   David Thompson Provincial Park

§  From  Cline River to the existing park.

§  It would incorporate Two O’clock Creek, Kootenay Plains group sites and Thompson Creek

§  These existing campgrounds would be “refurbished with the ability to increase in future”

§  There would be private investment

§  My comments were:

·         Would random camping still be available at Preacher Point? Answer: Yes, they would fix the loop road and add outhouses and garbage facilities. I commented  the in my experience garbage facilities aided in littering, using the pull off at both Nordegg and along Abraham Lake. Those garbage cans are overflowing and usually not used. Garbage is set beside the garbage cans.

·         Private investment in a provincial campground? Please explain how this would look. Paul Radchenko, Team Lead, Land Use Planning Tourism Policy and Strategy Unit, responded that it could be ice climbing guides, rock climbing guides, fishing or hunting guides or comfort camping. I responded that many of those options are organic until we get to the comfort camping option. I am also leery of private investment – this is a vague statement that makes me uneasy.

o   Ya Ha Tinda Park

§  Existing trails would be kept

§  Again, potential for private investment

o   North Saskatchewan River Provincial Park

§  Upriver from the trunk road

§  Would continue to include river boat use

§  OHV use will continue

§  More formalized campground

§  Possibility of “camping huts” for canoers

 

Provincial Recreation Area:

·         4 Areas Planned:

o   Bighorn Dam

§  A visitor hub available

§  There will be “facility tourism opportunities”

§  Again, private investment opportunities

§  My comments were:

·         Again your verbiage is disconcerting. The use of words like “tourism opportunities” and “Investment Opportunities” are vague and provide fairly broad spectrum of possibilities. Do you understand that this lack of clarification makes it difficult for people to buy in to your plan? Answer: Truthfully I got no clear answer.

·         I am not opposed to development but this development does not sound organic. Paul Radchenko again said that they would be respectful of the area and said, “We wouldn’t for example put in a Ferris wheel at Bighorn” to which I responded – there is talk of a zip line at the da, that is pretty damn close to a Ferris wheel in my opinion.

o   Hummingbird

§  Rustic Fixed roof – wall tents and cabins

§  “Small scale tourism facilities”

o   Snow Creek

§  Expand the area

§  Nordic ski centre development

§  “Small scale tourism facilities”

§  Expand the campground

§  Ecolodge cabins

§  Four seasons development

o   Shunda

§  Would include Goldeye and Fish Lake – both sides of the highway

§  4 seasons resort

§  Ecolodge, hostels, cabins (please note: both of those words are plural)

§  “Large scale tourism facilities”

PLUZ

·         2 Planned:

o   Kiska

§  “mid to large scale accommodations”

§  “extensive outdoor recreational activities”

o   West Country

§  “mid to large scale accommodations”

§  Front country camping

§  Outdoor recreational activities

§  “Phased planning approach”

§  And camping “until an opportunity to develop recreational management plans”

·         My comments: Again the verbiage is so vague that you are covering all your bases. And your “until an opportunity to develop recreational management plans” is literally occurring in my back yard. So the fact that your legislating the use of my backyard I take issue with.

 

The West PLUZ if further split into 4 areas”

·         Braz River

·         Nordegg River

·         Prairie Creek

·         James River

 

I have lived in the area for my life, I have used the area, my grandparents lived and worked in Nordegg and this is a community that to this day is impressive for their tight knit family. This area had been used for 70+ years and has been self-managed and the footprint in the area is negligible. I take offense to the government coming in under the guise of “protecting the environment” when in actuality it is another form of control. This is an area I literally know like the back of my hand, we live on the Northfork Road - that is not a name on the map to me – it is real. The “Kananaskis to the North” or “Edmonton’s playground” offends me more than I could ever share. This is our home – where we work, live and play. It is so disrespectful and even more so when our elected officials will not even listen to our concerns. This could be the greatest plan ever developed and you have lost all buy in because of your delivery method. If this is intended to be Rachel’s legacy then let me reassure you it is not, her legacy will be confusion, deception and desperation.

 
 This a synopsis of the evening, albeit with my own interpretation included.  

No comments:

Post a Comment