Monday 3 July 2023

Yukon or bust Wrap Up

June 28 - Smithers. What a pretty little town. We drove into Smithers for supper at a Greek restaurant and it was delicious! We stayed at Glacier View Campground and it did have a glacier view….behind the trees. We played crib in the motorhome- girls against boys. We are not going to talk about who won. It was best out of 5 and the boys cheated. The chicken souvlaki made up for the loss. Weather wasn’t great and we had an early night. 

June 29 - grocery day. Woke up and went for a walk and then us girls jumped in the truck and headed to Safeway and the boys went for fuel. We supported the local economy at the gas station, grocery store and the liquor store. Jen and I have decided that we are going to drink a gin and sake drink that we had in Whitehorse. Off to Prince George! Very nice drive but the highways are definitely getting busier. Got to our great campground and met Asian Eddie. He was so friendly- he asked, “Who is Ana….Ana…Anatasha?” Me! Anastacia. When I booked the campground I remember talking to him and it took us awhile to book. But he was so friendly, and stopped by in the morning to check how our night was. We think we are so early, but, every time we leave a campground it is empty. 

June 30 and July 1 - McBride. Holy shit McBride, how I love you! The best parties I’ve had south of the border is Lolo Hot Springs but in BC it is McBride. Arrived early at our campsite and we had an appie feast! Fresh oysters, cream cheese stuffed jalapeños, meat and cheese, cocktail wieners and fresh veggies. It was so good! Then played some poker and headed into town at 8-ish for supper at the Giggling Grizzly Pub. The Giggling Grizzly is still hibernating! Closed - no cook. So…we took a right went down one block and went to the McBride hotel. We walked in and there was 3 old guys in there - Matt The Bartender, Walter, the owner, who is Swiss, and Dean the biker. Well we were welcomed with open arms. Shorty, Jen and I pulled chairs up to the bar and then things start to get fuzzy. I threw my purse in the chair beside Howie and we ordered a round of beer. Matt said he was just about to close the bar until we walked in. Shorty laughed and said, “Well we are here now!” Matt said we had to drink a lot more for him to stay open. We obliged. Then a French Indian arrived-very friendly, we had a great chat. Then an Indian Lumberjack who kept ringing the bar bell and we had to do shots, then a Newfie who went to school in Cornerbrook, then things progress from fuzzy to blank. I cannot remember posing on the chairs for Howie, I can’t remember the guy with a suit and briefcase that walked in the bar, I can’t remember the 2 girls that were visiting their grandpa, I can’t remember when Matt said he had other customers to take care of because now we were regulars, I can’t remember leaving the bar, I can’t remember the ride home with my head out the window, I can’t remember jumping out of the moving vehicle when we were in the campground. I also did not take my purse home - it spent the night in the bar. Canada Day was a little quiet for us. We played poker and waited for the bar to open so I could retrieve my purse (I called Matt first thing in the morning- he had a hangover too- and he reassured me that he had my purse). Howie and I drove in to the bar to get my purse, there was a new bartender-Lawerence and Dean the Biker. They were laughing about our night. The Dean insisted on buying me a hangover drink -a Caesar. I said no, I already had one. He laughed then said he would buy me a beer and clam - I said I had already had one. He rolled his eyes and said I wasn’t hungover I was drunk again! We did have a beer with him. He took this opportunity to ask us about Shorty. Is she single? Who was she with? He really liked her, she was such a nice lady. I was dying on the inside!! Howie was sitting beside the guy that was trying to hook up with his wife! 😂😂😂 Howie finally did stake his claim. I think if I stayed in McBride for 4 more days I would be mayor. 

July 2 - Kootenay Plains. Almost home. Martinis and campfires. As beautiful as western Canada is, home is the most beautiful. 

We have travelled over 6,000 kilometres and burned roughly 1,800 litres of diesel, saw some amazing country, met some crazy people (Laura-Lee, the cinnamon bun lady at Braeburn wins the crazy award), saw over 30 black bears, 1 grizzly, buffalo, caribou, coyotes, sheep and had so many laughs and these are the 10 things I’ve learned:
  1. Syphilis is the silent killer. Thanks Fuzz for sharing this with us, I have to admit that syphilis has never been on my radar for a disease I needed to concern myself with, but know that I know it is a silent killer I plan on being extra diligent in ensuring I do not contact syphilis. Thanks buddy!
  2. Alice, dear sweet Alice shared with me that boxed wine is called a Goon Bag in Australia. This has now, forever, been a valuable addition to my dialog.
  3. Morning Stacy hates All Nighter Stacy and vice versa.
  4. Jen and I need darkness to regulate our life. Who knew that a clearly defined day and night was so important.
  5. The people who live in Hyder scare me.
  6. Canada is stunning. And big. And has lovely people and very friendly American visitors.
  7. COVID crippled so much of our country.
  8. I could never have been adventurous enough to be a Klondiker. I need my motorhome and all of its amenities.
  9. Jennifer and I are NOT drinking a gin and sake drink. My god, it was like stomach acid. 🤢 
  10. If I had 24 hours to clean the motorhome and restock it I would restart this entire trip. It was everything I hoped it would be. Crossed Dawson City off our bucket list but added 10 more bucket list trips. Thank you Howie and Terry, Darren and Jen and Ryan ❤️! Made some amazing memories!!

No comments:

Post a Comment