Saturday 1 October 2022

(Temporary Backup) September 28

We woke up in our little flat in the very rainy Isle of Skye. The very lovely lady that manages the flat was ever so helpful and had a tire pump that increased our front left tire from 9 pounds up to a healthy 16.5. So still going, that front tire is my new best friend. 

Anyway, we went to the amazing Flodigarry Hotel that we cancelled last night. So much better coming in the daylight, this hotel was beautiful. Jen asked why I didn’t book that hotel. Well Jen, the Airbnb I booked was a two bedroom, one bathroom for $235 for both of us. The Flodigarry was $1,100 per room per night. That’s why Jen. But honestly, beautiful. So I highly recommend if you have a grand to blow you should look into this lovely hotel. 

Okay, we have to leave the isle. Had a stopover at Kilt Falls. I am still looking for a Visual Designer but until then: 


so beautiful, us and the 85 other people thought so. 

We broke a golden road trip rule….we travelled the same road twice. but, quite honestly, if you were ever going to take the same road twice, this is the one.  Beautiful both ways. 

Also, made the cemetery that Fuzz passed (stupid idiot) and it was beautiful. Couldn’t even find the oldest grave  it we did find this: 

The church and cemetery was 1050 but thought to be in use 300 years before. So…mike drop…winner, winner, chicken dinner. 




Stopped for lunch in the most Stanley Hotel -esque (from The Shining) from Scotland. Desolate, but beautiful. Fuzz says, “Everything looks like a calendar”. So we played crib (again) Ryan and Jen vs Fuzz and I - and Ry and Jen won. Chicken Potato and Leek soup. I’m making it when I get home. Let me know if you’re coming over.

On to Glencoe. I know I’ve said it before but Holy. Fuck. Beautiful. I have to do a little preface on this story - I booked all the hotels, Airbnb’s, castle tours, vehicle, route, supper reservations, pretty much down to every hour. But a few days before we left, I did make confirmation calls. All was well….until I made the call to Bridge of Orchy hotel - yep, confirmed the reservations for September 29th. Wait. What. Seriously. What the fuck?! I don’t think I can can convey the level of panic that I suffered from. I was sitting at my desk at the plant and I yelled, “FUCK!!” “Fuck!” “FUCK!” I was losing my mind. You have to understand that I booked these hotels 3 months ago and it was a struggle. A. Mother. Fucking. Struggle. Now I need to book 2 rooms within a 10 day window. I finally found 2 rooms….but 1 of them had 2 twin beds and I jumped all over them. My expectations were low for the quality and location of these rooms. I’ve never been so surprised. It was 10x’s better than my first pick. I will share the view from our room: 


This is actually the view from the drone. This is the first time I’ve flown the drone and I’m so glad I did. But I was freaking out a bit about the possibility of losing the drone. I flew up a mountain into a shelter or a shelter like thing. This is the closest I’ve ever flown to anything and if I crashed up there I would have felt really bad for Ryan when he climbed up there to retrieve it. 


We sat outside and played cards when this fairly drunk Scot stumbled by and did a quick (well, as quick as you can do when you’re shittered) and he wanted to know what we were playing, how you dealt it, how you counted points, how much we were betting, the game he played when he was young, asked if he could play…. After 40 minutes Jen and I snuck into her room to make martinis. And hide. We peeked out from behind the curtains, as discreetly as possible, to see our husbands fully entertained by this fella. 

We went for supper to the pub and it was so much fun. Met an Irishman, an English couple in a caravan, a 2 year old Labrador named Jasper, a Border Terrier named Sandy and a couple form Idaho. Any guesses to which ones we would have voted off the island….it rhymes with Ridaho…..


1 comment:

  1. Ridahao… I thought it rhymed with Rarren and Iyan 😂

    ReplyDelete